It’s that time of year again … where we all sit down and set those infamous New Year’s Resolutions. We all know the regulars … lose 10 pounds, read one book a week … save 10% of our paycheck. The problem is that these are resolved today … and abandoned by the end of the week. So, this year, how about bucking the trend and actually doing something unique? Here are 5 top New Year’s resolutions to make together as a couple.
1. Plan for time alone together. We all know that time flies … and with kids’ activities it seems to move at supersonic speeds. That means there is less time for the two of you. Get your calendars out and block out … in indelible ink … at least two date nights per month. These don’t have to be fancy … they simply need to give you some quantity and quality time to reconnect.
2. Plan for some spiritual connections. Every couple struggles with this area. Find a good devotional book that is simple to use and set a regular time and place to read one section together … then spend three to five minutes to talk and pray about it. Keep your expectations realistic … shoot for at least three days a week.
3. Plan your parenting. Since one size fits all parenting doesn’t really work well … ask yourself the questions: How are our kids doing … physically, spiritually and emotionally? What does each child need from us? What do we need to be doing to help them become the man or woman that God wants them to be? Write an action plan for each of your children based on the answers to these questions.
4. Plan your finances. Now is a good time to take a look at where you are financially and to make the changes you want to make to get to where you want to be. If spending is a problem make a commitment not to make any major purchases until you’ve talked to your spouse first. It might be a great time to open a savings account for the kids’ college or wedding or whatever their future might hold.
5. Plan to get help. If you are struggling in any of these areas … you want to seek the help of a Christian counselor or financial planner. We get ourselves into messes quickly. We rarely get ourselves out of them without some help.
Going through a rough patch? Never give up! Trouble with one of the kids? Don’t you dare give up. Struggling with your passion, your intimacy? Never, never, never give up.
Start planning today to make 2019 the best year of your marriage and family’s journey!